Loading video...

Tumble dryer appears to catch fire

Share
Newsflare says:
Footage has emerged of tumble dryer appearing to catch fire at a home in Newcastle, UK. The video, shot by Peter Hamil on Monday, shows a bright orange glow appearing inside the drum of the dryer after it runs for a few seconds. Hamil told Newsflare that his wife noticed a burning smell after turning the dryer on. When he realised where the smell was coming from, Hamil took the machine outside to inspect it. "Being a 15-year firefighter I was curious what was happening so I set the dryer up outside in safe air," he wrote online. "After 20 secs a fire was starting behind the drum which is clearly seen on the video," "This is a perfect example of what could happen to house hold appliances. Never leave them unattended when in use," he warned. ++CLIENTS PLEASE NOTE: THIS VIDEO HAS BEEN EDITED++
Peter_hamil says:
My wife put a load in like normal. She remained in the kitchen whilst making some art and craft things with my 5 year old lad. She noticed a burning smell coming from somewhere and shouted for me. I asked what she had switched on recently and she said the Dryer. I opened the door to stop the cycle and the smell got worse. I removed the clothes and tried it again. After about 20 to 30 seconds a large orange glow came from behind the drum. I opened the door straight away again and removed the dryer from my house. Being a 15 year firefighter I was curious what was happening so I set the dryer up outside in safe air. This is where my video explains it best. But again after 20 secs a fire was starting behind the drum which is clearly seen on the video. I unplugged it straight away and the dryer spent the night on the drive as I was due on night shift. Unfortunately I didn't keep any paper work from when I bought it, anyway on return from night shift the local scrap man has been up my drive and removed the dryer!! Not happy!! But I wasn't risking leaving it in the house with my wife and kids. This is a perfect example of what could happen to house hold appliances. Never leave them unattended when in use. Never switch them on when you go to bed or leave for the school run etc. Always make sure you have a working smoke alarm, luckily It didn't get that far for me and my family this time.

Join our community

Sign up to get your videos seen, licensed and be notified about paid assignments from our partners

Related Videos

We license videos every day: user generated video content